well thomas, I'm not exactly sure, however I can give a great example of a game I could quickly get out of circling, that game being entombed. the first thing that could tell me I'm iomewhere I explored was the squishing sound of enemy corpses and the coordinates key said if I have been or have not been here before. but the cool part is the slash key. it gives a message of something like this. "nearest unexplored space: west, 1. north, 2. east, 3. north, 2. west, 7..." and so on.you could call it a gps of sorts that doesn't spoil anything but it can certainly lead you out of circling. but being the game is more based on squares like treasure hunt I see a different way that'd be more suited for an full fps game. up on pressing a key you could hear something like "area locator on. go straight... turn east here... climb this ladder..." or something like that until you reach the area. then it could say "unexplored space located. area navigator off." another thing could be sound landmarks. for instance in monkey business almost on every level there are different ambiences that only add to the atmosphere yet aid in navigation. "ah, I've been here before... so let's go another way." I know this isn't suited for something like mota unless you could use different drips, wind howls for different areas but in something like a star trek game that could work better with sounds of people working with pads... the warp core in the middle of the room... etc. hth. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 01, 2009 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] 3D navigation

Peter,

Is there anything specifically about FPS games like Shades of Doom that confuses you. Any specific reason why you get lost, and anything I can do as a developer to make it easier for gamers like you to get full enjoyment out of the game?

I will say this about Shades of Doom though. Shades of Doom is a poor example of an FPS title, because the levels were intended to be a maze. In other words they are not logically layed out as a typical building, and I believe David Greenwood intentially made the levels difficult to navigate to add extra challenge to the game. Now, when anyone says FPS they automatically do the, "I can't do that because Shades of Doom is too hard," even though most levels in sighted FPS games aren't quite that complex to navigate.

I think what is needed for people who have troubles with FPS games you need a simple example of an FPS game with a more normal layout. Rooms that aren't mazes and are more or less like you would find in real life. That said I personally like the maze factor as it really does add some additional challenge to the game.

Smile.

peter Mahach wrote:
I was also born blind and, although I have great hearing and I can rely a lot on the position of the sound heck, I can feel acoustic changes and I know if something's in front of me and I do understand the idea of boards in games like battleship, I just can't get the hang of fps games though I can get around kind of and eventualy beat the level, but at many points when I killed the monsters and knocked out equipment in the process in sod, I end up circling around, eventually quitting because of frustration.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4333 (20090813) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4333 (20090813) __________

http://www.eset.com