From: "Willem" <dwill...@gmail.com>
To: "Munawar Bijani" <munaw...@gmail.com>; "Gamers Discussion list"
<gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 11:08 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] free games was Piracy

Hi all.

Now the issue of piracy has reared it's head, I have a question for
everybody.

Is it really worth all the effort to sell an accessible game? I know you
make money, but is it really enough to live off? As things appear from
my side, a potential developer, making audio games is almost a charity
job anyway. The market is so small and many people can't afford the
games or just crack them plain and simple, which makes the buyers even
less. Either way, you have to do it because you love what you do and not
to make money. In fact most developers have other jobs as I understand it.

In fact some programmers build useful utilities just to have a website
worth visiting so they can put up adds and a donate button, which works
better in some, if not most cases.

Lastly, I know there goes more into a game than programming. You spend
thousands on sound libraries, licensing systems and the like, but
wouldn't a free, community-driven project be more worthwhile? I have
also heard the arguments against community projects, namely that
everybody has their own coding style and ideas and that there isn't
enough people who would contribute without wanting something back, but
at this stage it's all one man shows, except GMA who sub licensed the
GMA engine.

I know there are exceptions, like Thomas Ward and Raceway/mota, but to
my mind trying to live off making games is like squeezing water out of a
piece of wood, all be it a wet piece of wood.

Like you can see I don't have much experience in this area, but I would
like to hear what you all think. I especially want to hear from the
people that have been doing it for years.