From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] free games was Piracy

Hi Willem,
Well, I haven't been in the business as long as GMA, Jim Kitchen, or
BSC, but it doesn't take long to get a feel for what the market is
really like. I can probably answer your questions as well as the next
person.
Is it really worth all the effort to sell an accessible game? I would
say no, and there are plenty of reasons why I say this.
First, of course is copyright issues. Companies tend to turn a blind eye
towards the free and open source projects like FreeCiv, KDE Packman, and
Open Quake, because although they are based on the commercial products
they are free and open source. It usually isn't worth a company's time
and money trying to sue the developer or open source community for
creating a free clone of their software.
However, the minute that same developer tries to market the product,
sell it commercially, he owes royalties to the company that holds the
copyrights. If he makes enough at it and doesn't pay the royalties he
can be taken to court in order to redress the money the company believes
they are owed for the use of their copyrights and trademarks. Obviously,
this is not something an accessible game developer ever hopes to face.
Second, back when I was creating STFC I truly enjoyed writing games.
Partly because it was for the most part freeware, and there was little
pressure to get it done by a certain date. As soon as I took over the
games from James North I was suddenly expected to get the games done as
soon as possible, and there has been nothing but pressure to get the
games done. That has largely effected my desire to do the games.
Third, when you take money for the games you have to report the income
to the government, file taxes, and you end up with almost nothing for
your troubles in return. Considering there isn't much to be gained from
game sales it usually just ends up covering the sounds and music costs,
things like that, and the developer ends up with no real extra money to
spend.
Can you make a living writing accessible games? No, you really can't.
You can make some to pay off a few bills, perhaps buy a new computer, or
something like that but it isn't a job that pays you a stable income to
live off of. The most I've heard an accessible game made was something
like $10,000.00 USD, and after taxes go out you maybe end up with $7,000
to $8,000. That's assuming the game really did well. Usually, from what
I've heard, a game usually makes $2,000 to $3,000 grose, and after taxes
you are not making much off the game at all. So say about $2,500is
average for a game as best I can guess.

HTH