That's one reason I liked the Lunar series of RPG's for Sega and later Play Station. There were only two but I always liked the storylines and yes, the music and cutscenes. Regrettably Working Designs, the company that published the games at least in the US, is no longer around.
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 9:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Future of accessible games

Hi Dark,
That's not the first time I've heard that before. I recently read an article somewhere saying pretty much the same thing. It was a reviewer for some major gaming magazine, and he pretty much said games created today are not anywhere as good as they use to be years ago. He also sited the point of over commercialization, too much emphasis on killer graphics, special effects, great music and sounds, but no story content and replay value whatever. The basic point of his article was you really are not getting much of a game for your money any more, and most games you can rent it once, play it, and return it without wishing to play that game again. In his opinion most game companies don't really care if the game is good or not as long as they can put something out there, sell it quickly, and put something else out equally quickly.

dark wrote:
True Tom, ---- though I've heard a lot of hard line gamers like my brother and some of my friends complain that now, games are becoming so large, cinematic and industry driven, they are losing significant amounts of playability in the process.

This even goes for my friends who are fps players and fans of series like Dune or halflife.

One comment which recently made me laugh on a forum discussing turrican compared Halo to Turrican with it's weapons exploration elements (despite being in 3D), ---- to which someone replied "yes, but when you finish Turrican you want to play it again. you play Halo because of the Hype, then your glad it's over" lol!

I'm not completely certain how true these views are, sinse the point when main stream game developement and I seriously parted company at the start of the 32 bit era, ----- games were stil a lot less extremely industry driven than they are currently.

I do also have several friends (including my brother), who are World of warcraft players, and while some of what they say about the game concerning the publisher's payment initiatives is rather horrific, ----- some other things I here about the frequency of updates to the game with individual quests, ---- instances as they're known, and multiplayer tactical situations against large scale bosses do sound like great gaming experiences.

Beware the grue!