Hi all,
 I can say from my experience with rail racer, having level editors is
something the players really latch onto.
  The best tracks available for rail racer have been created by players, and
some of them used the track creation tools in ways I hadn't even thought of
when I was programming the game.
  Other than the online racing aspect of rail racer, I thing the track
editor and all the amazing courses that have come from users is the coolest
part of the game.
  On top of that, if I had hard coded all the tracks, I would have really
limited myself, or at the least wasted vast amounts of time making tracks.
  So bottom line, I would highly recommend making yourself a level editor
that is accessible to all right out of the box, it will greatly enhance your
game down the line and increase the replay value significantly.
  Later
Che