I've never actually tried using Window-Eyes with Lone Wolf. I tend to use Sapi. But I am glad the game offers that option in case I ever decided to mix things up a bit for variety. And if I was to start developing games I would try to include options for as many screen readers as I could right from the outset so as not to seem like I was targetting one specific group of users.
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Screen Readers and Games

Hi Bryan,
Well, don't forget GMA. As of Lonewolf 3.5 the game has Window Eyes API support. That happened because us non-Jaws users nagged David Greenwood until he realized not all of his Lonewolf customers are Jaws users, and we want the same access to the game as Jaws users. If he could use the JFW API for the game he could use the same for Window Eyes too.

In the end he finally added Window Eyes and Sapi 5 support in version 3.5. However, that might not have happened if there were not enough non-Jaws users to maret such an upgrade. However, this is clearly a good case of how the developer uses Jaws, developed the game initially for a Jaws user base, and finally was asked to include other screen readers as part of the games speech output.

Cases like this sets a president that we can't assume what access technology, if any, is present on the target computer. These days it could be a free and open source solution like NVDA for all we know. Therefore the game itself should provide all that is necessary for providing accessibility to itself independant of any specific screen reader or speech software that may or may not be present.

Bryan Peterson wrote:
The only company I've seen make allownaces is BSC Games, and that wasn't even a game. It was actually one of their Blindsoftware products, that Day-by-day Professional which offers support for Window-Eyes. But I still don't think they realize how well Window-Eyes meshes with games. I remember I forgot to unload WIndow-Eyes, which as I said I still do out of habbit, and I played a full game of Classic Pipe and didn't even realize Window-Eyes was still running until I'd quit Pipe. That was a welcome surprise. So I'm trying to unload Window-Eyes less when I play most audio games. Homer: Hey, uh, could you go across the street and get me a slice of pizza?
Vender: No pizza. Only Khlav Kalash.