Hi Jacob,
Considering DirectSound's age that's not surprising. It really doesn't
have top of the line 5.1 or 7.1 support, because it was initially
created in 95/96 for a totally different era of sound cards and audio
technology. Although, DirectSound has been updated as much as possible
it hasn't really been able to keep up with newer sound cards, make
efficient use of newer processors, and employ more advanced audio
techniques. XAudio2 on the other hand looks like it was written to
resolve these inherent problems with DirectSound, and to provide a
developer with a much more advanced audio API that can take full
advantage of the higher end sound cards like the Audigy 4 Pro or the
X-Fi. Unfortunately, I am pretty certain that most of the end users of
my games will have the lower end sound cards such as a Soundmax or
Real Tech that get put in just about every store brand computer out
there so won't necessarily take full advantage of the improved audio
environments i could provide.