well not to mention that dotnet is part of the critical and optional windows
updates so unless you don't update don't use autoupdate and don't visit the
site often like I do, or just don't go online or something you prity much need
to upgrade.
No excuse not to.
you will need directx which can be a pain to get unless you use sites like
softwarepatch.com or google search it whenever I don't always get the latest
but I do every few months.

So yeah go for the later xna thingy.
win xp has about I think either 3-4 years life left, for support and while you
can buy it still prices are in favor of win7 xp actually costs loads more than
win7 for those that must have old software but they really want you to get the
newer stuff.
I may even get that myself at some point once I manage to get the cash to
upgrade my readers which I will.
I may concider that.