Hi Shaun,
Why exactly do you think getting DirectX updates is a  pain? Why not
simply go to the official DirectX web page
http://www.microsoft.com/directx
and download them. It is easy to find and download, and that is where
I always get my DirectX updates from. In fact, in the future I'm
probably going to just include a link to the DirectX main page instead
of downloading and putting the files on my own web server.

Cheers!