Also, the programmers modified the programming of Deep Blue as the series progressed. Deep Blue, in my opinion, would not have done as well if it had been entered into a tournament with several grand masters of the game, because it was specifically programmed to beat one player. Another grand master, although he may not have been as good at chess, would played unexpectedly according to the programming of Deep Blue, and probably would have won against the program. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Greenwood" <davidgreenw...@rogers.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2010 6:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] AI - Re: multiple player game

In the mid-1990's, IBM developed a chess program call Deep Blue. It beat the world champion chess player Garry Kasparov in a six game match with two winds for Deep Blue, one for Garry, and three draws.

There was a bit of a cloud over the incident since Garry accused IBM of cheating and challenged Deep Blue to a rematch. IBM quickly refused and dismantled Deep Blue.

Some people feel that this was an admittal of IBM of their cheating, but my personal feelings are that computers are not nearly as creative and flexible as humans, and the chess master would probably have beaten Deep Blue handily if they had met again. IBM had met its goals of creating a chess program which beat the best human chess player in the world, and it could only tarnish its victory by having a rematch.

Regards,
David Greenwood
davidgreenw...@gmagames.com
http://www.GMAGames.com