Hi Jim,
Hey, that's perfectly ok. A lot of the early racing games like Poll
Position didn't use realistic physics and so on either.  They had
limited CPU power and ram to work with on those Atari systems so
couldn't get too  realistic with the games. However, I still had a lot
of fun playing Poll Position anyway.
In fact, around 1985 or so when I got my Colleco the stearing wheel
and pettles came with Poll Position II.  I use to spend hours playing
that game using the racing wheel, and is one of the reasons why my
version of Raceway will have stearing wheel support. It is just so
much more realistic than a keyboard.