Hi Eleanor,
I just read your white paper, and it was definitely a good read.
Although, it focused on vidio game accessibility this is actually an
issue that effects all software products and developers equally. Far
too many software manufacturers create a certain software product, and
then only add accessibility to the software as an after thought.
Usually the claim is that adding accessibility costs to much.
However, as your white paper clearly pointed out the Baby Boomer
generation, those whith the majority of the money, are getting older,
are becoming disabled themselves, and could use accessible software
more than ever. This is where some companies like Apple are way ahead
of the Windows PC market in terms of a universal accessibility
framework. Not only does Mac OS 10.6 come with a decent screen reader
built into the operating system the entire accessibility framework of
the operating system has been completely designed in such a way that
any application written using the official Apple APIs and programming
standards should be fairly accessible out of the box, and adding that
accessibility doesn't cost the developer more time and effort to make
the software that way as the accessibility is included into Mac's
toolkits, APIs, etc.
As I see it as a game developer the same kind of strategy can be used
in producing accessible vidio games. A lot of vidio games out there
are built using a fully qualified game engine. If they took the time
to add text to speech support, closed captioning, and one-handed mode
to the engine itself any future games built using that engine could
use those accessibility features without much added time and expense
in developing the games themselves. However, the game companies have
to make a reasonable effort to add the accessibility into the game
engine itself before they produce the game/games. If they do that the
cost of development will be spread out over the entire population of
disabled and non-disabled gamers.
One problem is, as I personally see it, is the colleges and
universities themselves are not pushing for better accessibility
standards. Instead they will teach a new programmer the basics of
programming using Java, C++, Visual Basic .Net, whatever but there is
no discussion on ways to make an application accessible to someone
with any kind of disability.  Therefore there is a large majority of
programmers out there completely unaware of products like Jaws,
Window-Eyes, Zoom Text, etc, and most of them don't have any idea how
to go about making a program accessible in the first place.
So from my point of view we really should start with the class room
and teach new programmers how to make software accessible as they are
learning. Get them when they are young and just starting out.  Teach
them the fundimentals of accessibility before they go to work for
Activision, EA Games, or go into business for themselves.