Hi Dark,
Well, that's part of the problem with turn based play. Everything
takes a turn and if you are attacked unexpectedly you will end up
getting shot at first. It is possible, even in the current release to
attack first, but it is tricky to work out a strategy where you
actually get to shoot them first. I've done it several times, but it
is hard to do.