Hi Thomas,

It is my opinion also that the majority of accessible games make a lot more than a few hundred dollars which as you say makes the 150 dollar price tag pretty low. But on the other hand, I have received a lot of messages saying that the pro version is too expensive and since I don't like the idea of all the extra bookkeeping involved in a payment plan, I figured I'd settle for a bit of a compromize.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2010 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] The price of BGT Pro

Hi Philip,
While I think that is a good idea I think charging a single license
for say $150 is too low considering the market potential for a
reasonable accessible game the commercial developer will make far more
off that single title than the actual cost of the single license. Back
when Montezuma's Revenge was in preorder status, before it became
Mysteries of the Ancients,  I grossed roughly $1,500 in sales and
James North had grossed something like $2,000 off that title.
Altogether, that's roughly $3,500 in preorder sales alone. When
Mysteries of the Ancients eventually reaches a stable release I expect
to make more in sales off the game. So with that in mind $150 is
getting off pretty cheap all things considered.
Anyway, what I think you might want to do is some sort of payment plan
where by someone can buy the unlimited license version but do it on a
monthly basis. Maybe do it in monthly installments of $100 over say an
8 month period. That way in half a year someone on a fixed income
could feasably afford the unlimited license and still not have to pay
$800 up front.
Come to think of it there is another posibility I just thought of.
With FMOD they have a limited sshareware license for $150. You can
sell a few thousand copies of a single title using the FMOD API but it
can't be any more than $10 or something like that. It is kind of a
nice way to allow a game developer to test the market potential of a
title without the FMOD developers under charging the game developer
for the use of their API. Perhaps you could think of something similar
for BGT. The beauty of this type of licence, from a strictly business
point of view, is a game developer can make a couple of thousand or so
off his her games, but only pay out $150 for a limited distribution
licence. However, if they want to charge $30 and have unlimited sales
then they have to purchase the Pro or Enterprise version of the
software.

Cheers!