Hi eleanor.

It is precisely because! of copywrite laws that I made the analogy I did.

While copywrite as a concept is reasonable, in terms of disability access it has often been used as grounds for denial, ---- usually for purpose of short sitedness or greed, to actually stop disabled access to things.

I myself can attest to the way that in the Uk, ---- where there is no governmental or legal provision to access to books and literature as in the Us, it's denied me reading material all my life.

There are also cases where certai film studios reffuse audio destcriptions made of their films on the same grounds.

I absolutely agree with you about working with companies. The only way to resolve this in a manner which serves everyone best would indeed be to work with companies in producing accessible versions of their games under the auspis of their own copywrite.

Ideally, Lucas arts should give tom the go ahead to create accessible starwars, or make alterations to existing games to make them accessible. They would then be "lucas arts licensed accessible starwars games produced by Thomas ward"

My cake analogy was intended to illustrate the ethics of the situation, and that making such requests of companies is in no way unreasonable.

However, the problem is, while it's very easy to work with independent developers to produce access changes in their games, ---- even going as far as access friendly versions like the blind compatibility mode in smugglers 4, even getting into this sort of conversation with the major game coorperations is near impossible.

The other day, I requested an access change to the online game core exiles. i was able to explain the need for it to the developer, she was able to note that other vi players were using the game and would find such a change of distinct bennifit, ---- and so it got added this afternoon.

However, it's near impossible even to speak to those in developement in companies like lucas arts, nintendo, capcom etc, ---- both tom ward and I have tried on several occasions and been completely stone walled.

Even if, ---- rather than requesting that they actually change their own games (which is afterall a far more difficult proposition), they give official license and sanction to the developement of an accessible version, their response is a flat out no.

They have no interest in creating accessible games, or helping others to do so, ---- frankly, as far as I'm concerned they've shown themsleves to be a bunch of greedy, short sited, capitalist gits only concerned with their own prophit and nothing else.

There is really litle that can be done with such people, which is why as I said, i think the future of accessible games will be with completely independent companies like 7-128 who are actually willing to discuss the subject and come to some level of compromise.

Having exhausted all the legal channels though, I really don't see that tom has any alternative here, nor would any developer wishing to create an accessible version of a mainstream game if the company refuses even to listen.

Beware the Grue!