Personally. You're better off drawing everything to scale.
Will make math easier, and computers have no problem processing it.

-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2010 5:43 PM
To: gamers@audyssey.org
Subject: [Audyssey] Creating game levels to scale?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if some gamers and especially other game developers could
give me their input on this matter. Tonight I am sitting here doing a bit of
work on the Genesis 3D engine when it ocurred to me I might be doing things
the wrong way, or at least I don't have to do things the way I'm currently
doing it.

You see, when I draw a map of a game level I draw everything in it
completely to scale. Like if I draw a chasm or lava pit, and let's say it is
10 feet in length, it ends up using at least 10 elements of the array to
hold it in memory. Now, obviously the larger the level the more memory the
game is going to use because everything is drawn completely to actual scale.
This would be fine for games where the levels are small, where the levels
are restricted to a 2d world, but tonight while working on the engine and
creating a test level for Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith I soon realized
that in order to draw 3d levels according to actual scale would be huge. Oh,
the computers of today can certainly handle it as memory is no object its
just the principle of the thing why create a (100, 100, 100) 3d array to
store the game level when I could acomplish the same thing with a (10, 10,
10) array that has everything scaled down by a factor of 10.

So to use my earlier example the chasm that is 10 feet in length would be
reduced to 1, and therefore would only use up 1 element in the array.
Therefore instead of the player taking a step of 1 he or she would move only
0.1 units per step. Things like that basically means that I could make the
level 10 times smaller, saving memory, and still draw large objects and
rooms.

However, scaling things down isn't without its problems either. For example,
since you can't store anything in an array that is smaller than 1 unit in
size a door that would normally only be two or three feet wide would now be
10 feet wide because that is the smallest I could make it and store it in
the array. Same would go for chasms, fire pits, and anything else.
Basically, I'd have to make the jumps longer in order to clear a trap that
was only three or four feet accross, but thanks to the weird skaling and
technical issues with the array would be no smaller than 10 feet. Any
thoughts on this?

Cheers!