Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Game Creation Tools

Hi Philip,

Yeah, I know. That's why when I created the Genesis 3D engine I
compiled it as an dll library. My thinking was that someone would like
to use a programming language that they know be it C++, C# .net,
Visual Basic .net, and just include the g3d.dll file in a project,
initialize the classes, and away they go. It gives someone the ccore
functionality for input, audio, speech, networking, whatever without
having to reinvent the wheel so to speak.At the same time since it
isn't bound to any specific language or wysiwyg editor a developer is
free to create games in his/her own way.

Unfortunately, there is a few, not many, but a few people who want a
fully automated system, some sort of wysiwyg editor, that just does
everything for them. Instead of taking the time to learn how to
program or script that game they want a simple tool to do this for
them. However, as you pointed out there is really no way this can be
done without having x number of games that are virtually identical to
each other. Oh, the sounds might be different, levels might be
different, but game play and so on will be fairly identical from game
to game. This was one of the major short-comings of Audio Game Maker.
You had no way to modify the enemy A.I. or anyway to extend the
functionality of any specific game object. It is a classic case of
what you see is what you get.

For myself personally I think what you are doing is the right thing.
It is possible once I get MOTA and Raceway out the door I'll modify
the engine to use a scripting language like Lua, Angelscript, or
something like that so I can just script the games instead of using a
language like C++ to build games. However, that is down the road.

Smile.

Hi Thomas,

This was actually what I invisioned for BGT in its very early stages of
development. However I quickly realized how close to impossible such a task is to complete successfully. Sure you can make a few templates with objects,
behaviors and other things that the player can customize, but how much
further can you go? You can drag and drop controls on to a window form, but
how these controls behave is entirely up to the programmer in the end
whether it is vb.net, C# and so on. Similarly you may be able to select how
many sound sources should be in an environment, how many levels should be
available and a few other things, but how much more can you really do in
game development with a wysiwyg editor? The risk is that most games will
become very generic, easy to recognize as being yet another construction
from the same template, and the end results would get down-right boring.
Giving the user greatly simplified tools to accomplish the task is one
thing, holding their hand all the way and attempting to let them run without
moving is another.

A lot of people have suggested the same as Ken, that one could make a
wysiwyg front-end that could complement the scripting, but I don't really
buy this idea either. If you use the wysiwyg, it would generate code for
you. In order to be interesting this code would most likely have to be
fairly involved in places, and we all know that it is very hard to go in and
modify someone elses code. Writing your own is often much easier, and in
order to be able to modify things in the first place you will need to learn
the language and the API which brings us right back to square 1.

Just my two cents.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall