From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Kitchen
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2011 8:36 PM
To: Thomas Ward
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Thoughts on Community Projects

Hi Thomas,

As I said trucker was the second dos game that I converted to a Windows
game.  At the time I was using VB4.  I dropped a text box on the form and
put text to it.  When I did, I highlighted the text and held it highlighted
for half a second.  That was why Jaws saw and read it automatically.  Too
bad as I said JFW was the only Windows screen reader that did.

I was once asked what I thought was one special thing about my games.  And I
answered that I have always had built in review keys.  Mostly I use the
function keys f1 through f12.  Like in hangman it will pronounce the letters
and spaces etc.  And in my baseball game they speak things such as the
inning, ball and strike count, score etc.  So that is one way around the
sapi5 option not having the text on the screen to review with the screen
reader.  You just build it into the game.  I even did that back in the dos
games.  In those I just rewrote the text on the screen and all of the dos
screen readers spoke it.

That is a puzzler about Phillip and the Neo Speech voices.  I have always
used the same sapi5 code and it works for all of my AT&T, Microsoft,
ScanSoft, Cepstral and Neo Speech voices.

Isn't that funny that people thing that the sapi5 voices come with the
games?

BFN

     Jim

"Toto, I don't think we're in DOS anymore..."

j...@kitchensinc.net
http://www.kitchensinc.net
(440) 286-6920
Chardon Ohio USA