Hi Dark,

Let's make a destinction here. DirectX and Managed DirectX are not the
same thing. Microsoft DirectX, I.E. the DirectX you are talking about,
is already a core component of the Windows operating system. The core
DirectX 8 libraries ship with XP, Vista, and Win 7 by default. Managed
DirectX, MDX,  was a very specific version of DirectX written and
created exclusively for .Net development with languages like C#.net
and VB.net. It could not be used by any other languages. So a game
like Turrican definitely does not use Managed DirectX, but core
DirectX 8. Does that make sense?

Anyway, When MDX was initially created word was that it was going to
become a core component of Windows Vista, but as I and everyone else
soon found out it didn't happen. It was pulled from the Win Vista
betas and was not included in the Vista final release. The only way to
get it was to install the full DirectX 9.0C runtime which of course
was like a 300 MB download. I personally felt lied to, and I don't
think my customers should have to install that particular component
when there are better alternatives available to them. More over at
this point I'm so absolutely disgusted with Microsoft's business
practices I'd like to distance myself from their APIs etc as much as
possible on principle. They treat both their customers and third-party
developers like crap. You know the saying, "once bitten twice shy,"
that's me in a nutshell. I don't trust Microsoft when it comes to
technology changes because I believe they pulled this stunt once
they'll do it again.

Cheers!