Hi Shaun,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by DirectX 9 has come "to end of life
now." The current version of DirectX is still 9.0C. However,
individual components have been upgraded such as Direct3D is now
v11.0, DirectInput latest is 8.1, XAudio2 has replaced DirectSound,
etc but it is still all core DirectX 9 for C++ developers. For .Net
developers XNA Framework is a wrapper for DirectX 9.0C.. So DirectX 9
is definitely not dead, but is continuing to get updated quarterly.
What people call DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 is simply DirectX 9.0C with
Direct3D 10 or Direct3D 11. That's the only difference between 9.0C
and newer DirectX versions that ship with Vista and Windows 7.

HTH


On 3/27/11, shaun everiss <sm.ever...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the trouble with all the dotnet stuff is that if you check all the
> boxes windows update will load it all for you, directx needs to be
> got seperately.
> The only saving grace for it  now is that
> dx9 has come to end of life now.
> At 03:52 a.m. 28/03/2011, you wrote:
>>Hi Dark,
>>
>>Well, as a gamer I completely understand your point of view on this,
>>but as a developer I see the other side of the issue too. For one
>>thing as a professionally trained programmer I like my work to reflect
>>my skills, education, etc so my personal standards for quality is
>>fairly high. Nothing drives me crazier than an incomplete or fairly
>>buggy piece of software that I personally created.
>>
>>For example, copyright issues aside with Montezuma's Revenge I was
>>going to have to eventually rewrite that program, or at least a large
>>part of it, to fix a couple of technical issues I made early on in
>>game development. One of them was the jump bug were you could jump
>>through walls, or jump and get stuck in mid air for no reason at all.
>>Obviously, these problems were fixed when I wrote the G3D engine which
>>MOTA uses, but I wasn't quite sure how to fix it at the time I was
>>working on Monte. The other problem was that I used James North's
>>coordinate system with (0, 0) at the top-left corner of the map and
>>(50, 50) at the bottom-right corner of the map. This would have been
>>ok accept when I wrote my trig calculations for the game my
>>orientation was backwards which means the game mechanics operated
>>incorrectly. The problem could have been fixed fairly easily, but
>>Utopia put an end to development before I had a chance to actually
>>rewrite/correct the game mechanics.so even if I had been allowed to
>>complete the game at some point I was going to have to correct those
>>bugs.
>>
>>
>>With STFC as I think you might remember I lost the source code to the
>>game during a system crash. As a result I was either forced to release
>>the game as is, I.E. release the last beta as 1.0, or rewrite it from
>>scratch. I chose a short-term solution which was to take the last beta
>>from the website, changed a few voice files to say 1.0, and released
>>it as is. Sure it is a good game, but there were bugs I never could
>>correct without the source code which I need to fix it. So as a
>>developer it was a little frustrating to get a support e-mail
>>reporting bugs I already knew about, and knowing I couldn't possibly
>>fix them without a complete rewrite. Plus at the time STFC and Monte
>>was being developed people were always having troubles installing .Net
>>and Managed DirectX which got to be a hastle because at the time XP
>>shipped with neither technology, and they had to be installed in the
>>exact correct order in the exact right way or STFC wouldn't run.
>>Although, newerWindows releases like Windows 7 have gone a long way to
>>resolving most problems with .Net applications its still an issue for
>>older XP systems. Plus I've had a few e-mails to the effect people
>>don't want to install .Net on their computer for one reason or
>>another.
>>
>>
>>The other issue was a lot of gamers felt at the time I could fix the
>>.Net compatibility issues simply by creating a streamline install of
>>all the dependencies which would simplify installing the game. They
>>were right I could have fixed the problems with .Net and Managed
>>DirectX by packing them with my installer, but instead of 25 MB the
>>install size would have jumped to well over 500 MB. This dependency
>>issue is primarily one reason I began moving away from .Net and
>>decided to look at C, C++, Java or something else. I didn't think it
>>was fare to the gamer to install a game with 500 MB of dependencies
>>attached. Not to mention It was going to cost me more in download
>>bandwidth, storage space, etc. Let's face it .Net based apps are
>>bloated beyond belief when you need several third-party managed
>>libraries that may or may not be preinstalled on your system.
>>
>>
>>To sum up the issue I don't think game developers such as Josh and
>>myself necessarily want to take down games that are old because they
>>lack maret, but do it because the game in question no longer operates
>>correctly or as expected on the current hardware or OS as intended.
>>Answering tech support e-mails or repeatedly answering people's
>>question why this or that game no longer works takes time and energy
>>away from the current game or upgrade in development. Especially,
>>since the devlopers usually are the ones the support questions go to
>>meaning we double aas developer and on the spot e-mail tech support
>>person.
>>
>>For example, let's assume that someone writes USA Games support
>>wondering why STFC 1.2 isn't working. I can talk them through
>>correctly installing .Net, upgrading .Net if necessary, and getting
>>Managed DirectX installed. That might take a couple of long winded
>>e-mails, but eventually we will resolve the issue. Unfortunately, for
>>me I could have spent that time on STFC 2.0 which will be far better
>>than 1.x. Its written in C++, uses cross-platform libraries like SDL
>>and FMOD,  and the install size shouldn't be any more than 30 MB or
>>so. Maybe more if I add music tracks for the various missions.
>>However, you need to understand my personal frustration at having to
>>support a technology and programming language I no longer use any more
>>for game production and I know that something much much better is in
>>development. Yet, as you say releasing it as abandonware isn't the
>>answer either since STFC isn't abandoned. Just put on hold while I get
>>Raceway and MOTA out of my hair.
>>
>>Cheers!
>>
>>---
>>Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
>>If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
>> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
>>You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
>>http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
>>All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
>>http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
>>If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
>>please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>
>
>
> ---
> Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
> If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to
> gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
> You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
> http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
> All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
> If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
> please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.
>

---
Gamers mailing list __ Gamers@audyssey.org
If you want to leave the list, send E-mail to gamers-unsubscr...@audyssey.org.
You can make changes or update your subscription via the web, at
http://audyssey.org/mailman/listinfo/gamers_audyssey.org.
All messages are archived and can be searched and read at
http://www.mail-archive.com/gamers@audyssey.org.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the management of the list,
please send E-mail to gamers-ow...@audyssey.org.

Reply via email to