Hi,

Unfortunately, that is very true. There are a lot of board games etc I
could write, but there are free versions available. Creating a
commercial version wouldn't sell unless it was really spectacular.

For example, I've thought about creating my own version of Monopoly.
Main reason is there are some special rules that the Kitchens Inc and
RS Games versions don't have. In the Lord of the Rings Monopoly you
can play using the ring which has its own special rules and special
dice which is totally different from regular Monopoly. The Star Wars
Collecters Edition Monopoly has a few extrarules and changes not found
in classic Monopoly as well. However, I'm not sure that these extra
features would be in demand by VI gamers. I'm afraid if I spent two or
three months developing a more complete Monopoly set with special
rules people will just grown and say, "Oh, no. another Monopoly game?"

The same goes for Life. Jim Kitchen has a decent Life game, but there
are some variations that are pretty cool. One of the more recent
versions my wife and I own is Pirates of the Caribbean. Its a little
more fun than classic Life as its all about becoming a pirate, finding
gold, attacking other ships, etc. I don't know if this would
constitute enough of a change for people to be interested in another
Life game even if it has a different theme, different cards, etc.

So you are right. The well isn't as deep as it once was, and if I want
to do a board game, arcade game, it has to be different enough to seem
newor or they won't be as much interest in it. Yet of course anything
with Harry Potter, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, are
usually automatic hits just because of the characters, music, etc
involved in the game. In other words the familiarity to the gamer.