Hi,

I don't want to get into the which language is better than language x
debate again, but I do want to say that I've also tried AutoIt, and
its really not ideal for any serious game development. There is the
speed critical issues like Philip said, and there is security issues
that need to be taken into consideration too. If you are a commercial
developer like Philip and I a developer needs a language that can't
easily be reverse engineered and converted back into readable code,
and unfortunately AutoIt apps can be hacked very easily. A number of
runtime languages have this issue, and a commercial developer ends up
having to pay extra money on development tools to obfuscate or some
other method of keeping the code from being cracked.

For instance, take Java. It is a language I rather like because it is
fast, portible, and is fairly easy to learn compared to something like
C++. One of its down sides though is security. A developer needs an
obfuscation tool to scramble the compiled *.class files otherwise a
cracker can simply unpack the jar files with jar, run the class files
through a decompiler, convert them back to readable Java source code,
make whatever changes are needed, recompile the class files with
javac, repack the jar file with jar, and have himself or herself a
free software product. AutoIt has similar security risks for a
developer, and and is why I would not recommend it for anyone looking
at creating commercial games.
That's not to say C++ apps can't be reversed engineered, but it takes
a bit more technical skill to do it. A lot of times a cracker has to
read the actual assembly code which is harder than C or C++. This can
be prevented by encrypting the binary.

Then, there are the speed critical issues Philip mentioned. The reason
why Philip and I both picked C++ is it  runs faster, has  better
low-level access to the hardware and APIs for the target platform, and
you can always wrap that engine using a high-level scripting language
like Angelscript, TCL, whatever. Angelscript just doesn't quite cut it
when it comes to issues like that.

Cheers!