They did that with Terraformers and you also have training levels in Microsoft Flight sim x.

At 10:29 AM 6/15/2011, you wrote:
Hi Trouble,

That's something as a game developer I'm not sure how to handle. It is
one thing to spend months of writing documentation only to have some
user come on the list and ask hundreds of questions that can easily be
answered by reading the manual.

The mainstream games do have a bit of a solution for this problem by
having training levels that talk you through the basics like walk
forward, stop, now hold down alt+forward to jump forward, etc. That
seems to work out fairly well for the mainstream  games because it is
more interactive than a manual. I wonder if perhaps that might be the
way audio games should go as well.

Either way there are things such as known problems, changes, or just
side notes that have to be written down. If the end users don't read
it it is their problem. They just make it our problem to because we
have to repete ourselves time and again because they don't have enough
brains to read the readme file with the software.