I'm afraid tom my worrying brain now says, why worry about the maths when you can just have a section of ground reached by mario where the barrels' movement is different?

That would achieve the same end, namely have differences in landscape that dictate how the barrels roll and alter the timing required of the player, but not actually require any mucking about with physics, just alteration of the time of the barrels in specific level areas accordingly, maybe with a sound to differentiate them, like a metal floor to the ramps instead of a wooden floor for the ldges ;d.

Beware the grue!