Hi Jim,

Well, you did a pretty good job of copying the essential game play of
Donkey Kong in Homer level 1, but with some extra twists. Donkey Kong
didn't have birds swooping down to attack you,  and in that way Homer
is a bit harder than Donkey Kong level 1. However, you are right. The
chainsaw is more or less like the hammer, and in Donkey Kong there was
no indication when Mario would loose the hammer. It just vanished, and
Mario had to go back to jumping the barrels.

Cheers!