HI Dark,

I guessit is a matter of how realistic you want the simulation to be.
You ar right there are simpler ways to accomplish the same thing
without resorting to the number chrunching and physics, but I always
attempt to look at it as any other college trained programmer would
rather than from the novis perspective. I don't mean this as an
insult, but the way I personally think. Once trained in college level
math, higher level programming languages, etc its hard for me to go
back and see things the way a novis programmer might given the same
problem to solve. That's why I suggested using a bit of physics to
determine how fast the barrels roll down the ramps based on their
weight and the slope or angle of the ramp, and you might even
calculate friction if you are going in for ultra realism here.

All the same you are right. If a developer doesn't care about the
realism setting a speed and having them roll down the ramps at x speed
without factoring physics is totally possible. In the end I'm pretty
sure the end player won't care because they won't know. This is
probably that programming guru factor at work again. :D

Cheers!