Hi Jeremy,

Those are some very good points. In many ways when I joined the audio
games community I had similar observations and I guess ideas where the
community could go. That was about 10 or 11 years ago.

I was sighted for the majority of my early life, lost my sight
officially in the 90's, so I had a pretty good idea of what had been
available for the sighted mainstream market at the time. When i
started reading the mag so I could find out what games I could play or
expect to create I saw that most people were playing text adventures
or simple Dos games  like Monopoly, Hangman, and things of that
nature. The only developer who captured my immediate attention was GMA
because they had a real time submarine simulation, Lone Wolf, and they
were creating the world's first audio based first person shooter,
Shades of Doom. Coming from a mainstream background as I had those
were the games I naturally were most interested in because it wasn't
so different from games I already knew and enjoyed before I lost my
sight. In other words if we want to communicate and open dialog with
other mainstream gamers its something like Shades of Doom or Tank
Commander they will be interested in discussing. Anything less will
seem to them as not very advanced or worth while. At least that's how
I see it coming from that background myself.

It is because of that background I have the opinions and attitudes I
do have towards audio gaming. There is a reason I spent two years
developing a 3d game engine I call Genesis 3D, and there is a reason
I've adopted a number of features seen in the GMA Game engine. That
reason being over the next five years or so I plan to create games on
par with Halo, Tomb Raider, Jedi Knight, and any other game that has
had some commercial success in the mainstream market. Not necessarily
because it will make a lot of money but because it is a style and
standard of gaming that is rarely achieved by audio game developers
accept for a handful like GMA who are trying to reach the same goal as
I am.

What you are doing for this community is no less valuable. Castaways
is the best game I've seen since I don't know when. True it needs some
better sound effects and things like that, but as Dark said it is the
closest thing to Dwarf Fortress and games like that we have at the
time being. It is getting us headed in the right direction as far as I
am concerned and I'm all forward to bigger and more complex games of
this nature.

Cheers!