Hi Darren.

While I agree we need more complex games simply for the need of having! complex games, I'm not sure about the mainstream companies arguement.

If anyone googled audio games net or asked for information, of course! we'd tell them about games like castaways, time of conflict, shades of doom, mota etc. Also, if you look on audiogames.net the genre catagories make it pretty clear that there are! games that are more than simple arcade style, so I think the evidence is out there if someone wants to look.

Myself though, I am very much less convinced mainstream companies would ever look into making audio games unless about a million people became blind. There might be the odd one like Sound voyager as a novelty, but a novelty is only novel if it's rare.

while people naturally do! compare audio games to mainstream games, this is just plane unreasonable. It's like comparing an ameter film produced with ten thousand dollars budgit to the latest multimillion dollar blockbuster.

of course! an ameter film maker who has to show a hellicotper blowing up by buying a scale model and filling it with fireworks is not going to get the same effect as a big studio who can just spend a few hundred thousand dollars on a real x military chopper and blow it up!

Comparing audiogames to indi games on the pc, it is true there is a gap, being that indi games include some pretty complex and astounding things, even if stil miles behind what's available from Nintendo, thq, sony etc.

However, I will say that in the past few years I've seen a lot of progress in what is done in audio.

Look at stratogy games. Four years ago, there wasn't anything other than galaxy ranger which boarders on being an aarcade game and really doesn't make massive use of the map or resources. Then we had sound rts, time of conflict and castaways, and now we're getting into some really quite complex affairs controlling hundreds of units at a time.
So hopefully things will! improve.

Beware the Grue!