Okay, now it makes sense... but I hope you can at least code it so proper sounds play at proper times. lol. I would hate to fire my gun and hear a hit only to find out that it was a missed shot. :P And maybe I've always just been ignorant.. but mainstream games always make that seem so simple. A miss is a miss, and a hit is a hit. If you look at the sound file from game rips, all those sounds are separate, so I guess I just never considered the issues with buffers. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Kaldobsky" <jer...@kaldobsky.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Swamp Ideas

It all comes down to numbers. In pretty much any other game I would keep the sounds separate and mix them in the code as necessary. Firing the gun requires 1 buffer, the bullet impact sound would be another, and the zombie's death would be a 3rd. On each of these, the buffer is still in use for the duration of the sounds being played, so if you fired several bullets into a crowd of zombies you might be using between 6 and 12 separate sound buffers right there. Then you've got your own footsteps as you're running from the undead horde, each zombie has its own foot steps as they chase you, and many of the zombies are growling and moaning. It is also possible that you've got one of the radars activated, are within range of your speaking friend or another team mate, and there may even be some type of near by ambient sound meant to make the environment more immerse.

As you can see, the number of needed sound buffers starts to climb really quickly. With only a few zombies this would be a lot but not overly crazy, but with each new zombie that number grows. Every corner I cut increases the number of zombies I can throw at the poor player in a map. I'd rather use a little more disk space on some combined sound files if it means I have have 5 or 10 extra zombies chasing me down the street, lol!

I hope this helps explain why I'm going this route.

If you want a voice actor, I can help
out there. But I'm curious... why pre-mixed sounds as
opposed to separate ones?