Personally, I'm all in favor for changing the controls to the fps standard. I know some people won't be happy, but in this instance, I think that's just a pity that has to become a reality. How can gaming for the blind move forward if people are refusing to use a mouse for games when sighted people have been doing this for years? What's going to happen when audio games develop enough of a market to shift to consoles? People are going to say, well, I've never used a console before and I just want to stick to my keyboard. If this keeps happening, audio gaming is going to collapse, and we can't afford that being as small a market as we are. I don't mean to sound harsh, and I hope I don't come across this way. But people need to accept that if they truly want to enjoy games of a high calibur they will have to make adaptations. Mice aren't that expensive to buy, and aren't very difficult to use. I for one only play judgement day with a mouse nowadays, it just feels so much more streamlined, and feels cooler to play. I think that mouse use is the way to go in this game, but I'm not sure what can be done to keep everyone happy. I'd say do what allows you to spend more time on gameplay, adding weapons, maybe even putting in story, etc, as opposed to figuring out how the controls are going to work. Could steering work with a gamepad? If so, that might be the alternative to mouse use. True it isn't using the keyboard, but as I said earlier... in this type of game, deviation from the keyboard is much more often benefitial. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Kaldobsky" <jer...@kaldobsky.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Swamp Ideas

While I was at work I was giving the code a lot of thought. Currently I've been offering a few ways to control movement which has been giving people more variety, but is also making it very difficult to design things. I don't mean to imply that designing the movement is difficult, what I mean is that the people falling into the different control categories all have very different abilities. The people using steering can navigate terrain that the keyboard users simply can not. I've realized that this has been forcing me to work on the map while catering to the most restricted group, and in a way that's a bad thing. The people who use the more advanced controls will still be able to, but they will be exploring a world designed to be navigated by the keyboarders.

I'm very tempted to change the controls to a single layout, which would utilize steering and a few other things. The more I thought about the idea of a single layout, the more I convinced myself that the layout should be as close to the mainstream FPS standard as possible. If we are already changing the controls, they might as well use a standard that has developed over the past decade by players using a mouse and keyboard combination.

If I make this kind of change, the bad thing is that it will likely split the current Swamp players. Some people will just not accept the more advanced controls and would probably stop playing the game altogether. I'm just starting to think that it's a necessary step.

Please give me your thoughts on this. I already know some people won't be happy, or they will try to suggest that I leave the alternate controls in as an option. The problem with that idea is that I would still have to design the maps and game to work for the clunky keyboard navigators and we are back to the exactly same situation.