Well the fact is that there are to many zombies at once.
My shots hardly if at all hit, my axe does, and I find that there are less items, guns etc no guns bar safezone really and I have never got that many things. The system was ok before it just was you had to much amo but if you put the zombie count up maybe that would work.
All the zombies don't make noise unless they see you.
The major issue with 1.1b was that there were not enough zombies you could walk round the map land not encounter hardly a zombie.
I also have got stuck in buildings before can't find ways out, etc.
I do plan to watch things and make adjustments to the difficulty, but I'm reluctant to do that until I've given people a chance to get used to the changes. When the game first added multiplayer I was flooded with emails about the game being too hard. Those slowly died down and soon I was flooded with emails saying it was too easy and people were starting to get bored. I think this could end up being the same type of situation where people just need to get used to it. I am willing to change it though, when the time is right.