On 1/6/02 8:06 AM, "Ted Husted" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
>> I thought I would share, as my thinking about removing community containers
>> here in Jakarta, XML et al resonates well this.
>
> Personally, I just think its mainly a matter of packaging. By
> definination, we are all trying to share the same ASF culture, though
> each codebase will have its own flavor.

If you really believe this, then the right thing is to get rid of *all*
containers :

 Jakarta +  HTTPD + XML + TCL + PHP + APR + Perl

> Lumping everything together under one heading tends to confuse human
> beings. I think the projects, like XML and Jakarta, make for useful
> headings, mainly because that how people conceptualize entities like
> this.

And there is no difference in culture?

I don't know the answer, but watching the discussion about XML lately, I
would think that there *are* differences, so there must be *something* to
it.

> I think both XML and Java/Jakarta make for fine headings. This is
> overlap between them, but that happens.
>
> Moving forward, I might suggest that both Projects ask themselves what
> type of products they want to carry on their homepage. Should XML be
> just XML-based, or XML and document-based. Does it confuse people to
> find product like Batik listed there?
>
> Should Jakarta products all have strong ties to server-side
> technologies? Or is just being Java good enough?
>
> If we think of XML as a document-based technology, then it could make
> sense to see projects like Alexandria, Jetspeed, and Slide under XML --
> especially since XML already hosts SOAP and RPC-XML. Likewise, it could
> also make sense for Batik, FOP, and Xang to be under the Jakarta
> umbrella. And, given an XML-Commons, should not the Digester live there,
> with other XML tools?
>
> Realistically, many of these placements have been the coincidence of
> where a committer was already involved. It's easier to bring things up
> on a list to which you are already subscribed. So we do.
>
> So two concrete actions I would suggest for now are:
>
> (1) That we petition the ASF to change our charter and remove the word
> "server", so what we are simply charged with providing production
> quality solutions on the Java platform.

I would like to see some opinions on the idea of working to form another
apache subproject focused on the client side and if anyone thinks that makes
sense.

> [I'd link to our charter, but can't find the ASF minutes any more, and
> don't know where else it was published.]
>
> (2) That we ask XML if they would like to merge our general lists, so we
> can more easily discuss matters like this. I'm happy to have POI here,
> but would really like to know how XML feels about it.
>
> Alternatively, perhaps we might consider something like a public
> "apache-projects" list, where all the PMCs would meet and discuss issues
> like this, and conduct the formal votes, and let the general lists
> revert back to a chat room.

> -- Building Java web applications with Struts.
> -- Tel +1 585 737-3463.
> -- Web http://www.husted.com/struts/
>
> --

Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting
"We will be judged not by the monuments we build, but by the monuments we
destroy" - Ada Louise Huxtable