On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 00:51 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > And who is expected to subscribe to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Those who want to? :)
>
> I imagine those working on sandbox components at the moment, plus a
> handful of people who tend to subscribe to such lists.
>
> Out of interest - if we take a list with N mails a day, and have 2 lists
> with N/2 mails a day, is that something you'd view as more painful or the
> same amount of pain?
>
> I know that when subscribing to Jakarta subprojects I'm not interested in
> as a coder, I subscribe to both the -user and -dev and funnel them both
> into the same folder. For my level of interest it's just [EMAIL PROTECTED],
> not
> ecs-xxx@ etc. So I'm probably answering "more pain" to the above, but I've
> got a simple solution that hides the minor pain increase.

I'm more concerned about the other direction - a lack of people watching
this new sandbox.

Currently, all commons developers are subscribed to commons-dev, and
therefore get to see sandbox stuff. Ok, it's sometimes a little
annoying. However it does mean that we're all aware of what's going on
at a general level. Commits including non-ASF copyright statements are
going to be picked up for example, as are commits of jarfiles.
Help/comments are also often offered by committers not specifically
working on that sandbox project.

I'm worried that if the sandbox becomes its own world, then it will end
up with very few subscribers, and that good projects will therefore have
a hard time becoming a success.

Ideally, a sandbox project should be "adopted" by its closest living
relative, and use that project's list until it grows up. This
[EMAIL PROTECTED] idea looks more like a communal orphanage to me...

Of course if a big bunch of people volunteer to join this proposed
sandbox community then that would resolve my concerns.

Cheers,

Simon