On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 11:08:07PM -0800, Joshua Saddler wrote:

> > On 3 March 2010 19:45, Mart Raudsepp <l...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > I don't believe we should selectively cripple one GUI toolkit with not
> > > having proper printing support out of the box on a desktop profile,
> > > while others do, just because maintainers are lazy.
> >
> > It is not something that is necessary for running a
> > desktop system.
>
> Your logic is very thin here. By that same line of reasoning, neither are the
> gtk or qt flags, since you don't need 'em if you're building, say, a *box
> desktop.
>
> Printing is something I'd argue is part of a desktop environment. It's very
> much a graphical activity, and that's what a desktop is. We've had the
> Printing Guide in our Desktop Documentation Resources section for years for
> that very reason.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/?catid=desktop

Isn't the split of the desktop profile, into KDE and gnome profiles, whilst
leaving a base Desktop profile, exactly meant for the purpose that if you're
not building KDE/Gnome, then you don't need to set the qt flags, unless some
application needs it, or you find that you'd prefer to have them set
system-wide?

--
Zeerak Waseem