J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 01:44:23 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann

>>> or if it was meant to be used the way you use it.
>> Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
>> that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
>> run 24x7.
> Not hard data, but while still using desktop drives, I had a drive failure on
> average once or twice a year. Now with enterprise 24x7 drives, the failure
> rate has dropped to 1 in the past 3 years.
>
> That is, for both, using proper UPS equipment.
> Additionally, I noticed a definite speed increase after switching to
> enterprise disks.
>
> --
> Joost

I have one WD black which I think is a more expensive drive.  I have to
say, when I run hdparm -tT on it, it is faster than the other "regular"
drives that claim the same specs, SATA etc etc.  They do cost more tho.
Some a good bit more unless you can catch a good sale.

While I was looking for this new drive, I looked into a 4TB drive.  I am
still trying to get my jaw back up off the floor.  Holy sheep.  They are
still fairly proud of some of those puppies.  I did notice they have a 5
and 6TB one now.  O_O  Double holy sheep.  I think I lost my jaw now.
Good bye nose, hello China.  :-(

Well, one of these days we will be talking about getting 6TB drives for
$50 and how much we want a 20TB drive, to put all our worthless junk
on.  lol   Oh, we will still complain about how they die to soon too.
We may even have CPUs that run at light speed with many dozens of cores,
but still to dang slow.  ;-)  Pass the rice please.

Dale

:-)  :-)