On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 01:44:23 PM Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> >>  ANY hard drive can fail the day
> >>
> >> after you buy it, a month after you buy it, and so on, though
> >> obviously the probability of a particular drive failing at any point
> >> in time may vary by what you pay for it.
> >
> > or if it was meant to be used the way you use it.
>
> Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
> that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
> run 24x7.

Not hard data, but while still using desktop drives, I had a drive failure on
average once or twice a year. Now with enterprise 24x7 drives, the failure
rate has dropped to 1 in the past 3 years.

That is, for both, using proper UPS equipment.
Additionally, I noticed a definite speed increase after switching to
enterprise disks.

--
Joost