On 06/25/2014 10:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:

> Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
> that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
> run 24x7.

Anecdotal, but...

In 2008 I bought four 24x7 drives (500GB) and eight regular drives to be
used in raid. Out of the eight regular drives, six failed before 4 years
was up.

All of the 24x7 drives are still in use (although I don't remember which
machine(s) they're in now), six years later.

All Seagate.

I initially did do warranty replacement on the failed drives (all drives
had 5 year warranty back then), and out of the six replacements, four
failed a little over three months in.

At that point I went and bought a real battery backed raid card
(computer still has a UPS) with WD enterprise drives and no hiccups of
any kind in about two years. And disk performance is way, way up.

Dan