On Wed, 25 Jun 2014 22:54:35 -0500, Dale wrote:

> Curious.  I hope I don't start a flame war here.  I have had WD, Seagate
> and I think there is a Samsung here somewhere, may be the one that is
> rolling over on its back now.  The one drive that failed a few years ago
> was a WD drive.  That said, all the other WD drives I have had just got
> to small to really use, and slow when SATA came out.  I'm partial to WD
> and Seagate still since I got good long term use out of those.  Based on
> your experience, you tend to be of the same opinion?
>
> Allan, your situation should involve a lot of hard drives.  Any
> thoughts?  Neil, you have a nice big opinion on this?

Yes, mix drives from different manufacturers. Or buy them at different
times. All manufacturers can have bad batches (remember the IBM
Deathstar?). I bought two Seagate drives a couple of years ago, for use
in a RAID. The only time I have ignored my own advice on this matter
(other matters are way off topic!). After a year they both started
showing SMART errors and one of them failed soon after, the other was
replaced before it had a chance to fail.

Yes, it's anecdotal, but it makes sense - true redundancy means using
different sources.

--
Neil Bothwick

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.