Daniel Frey wrote:
> On 06/25/2014 10:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> Like I said, I'm certainly interested in any actual data that supports
>> that drives sold to run 24x7 last any longer than desktop drives when
>> run 24x7.
>>
> Anecdotal, but...
>
> In 2008 I bought four 24x7 drives (500GB) and eight regular drives to be
> used in raid. Out of the eight regular drives, six failed before 4 years
> was up.
>
> All of the 24x7 drives are still in use (although I don't remember which
> machine(s) they're in now), six years later.
>
> All Seagate.
>
> I initially did do warranty replacement on the failed drives (all drives
> had 5 year warranty back then), and out of the six replacements, four
> failed a little over three months in.
>
> At that point I went and bought a real battery backed raid card
> (computer still has a UPS) with WD enterprise drives and no hiccups of
> any kind in about two years. And disk performance is way, way up.
>
> Dan

Curious.  I hope I don't start a flame war here.  I have had WD, Seagate
and I think there is a Samsung here somewhere, may be the one that is
rolling over on its back now.  The one drive that failed a few years ago
was a WD drive.  That said, all the other WD drives I have had just got
to small to really use, and slow when SATA came out.  I'm partial to WD
and Seagate still since I got good long term use out of those.  Based on
your experience, you tend to be of the same opinion?

Allan, your situation should involve a lot of hard drives.  Any
thoughts?  Neil, you have a nice big opinion on this?

I realize that any brand of drive will break eventually.  That's one
reason I don't hold the one failure I have had against WD.  I got a lot
of use out of that drive and it did let me know it was going to die,
like real soon.  I'm going to duck now.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)