Alan McKinnon wrote:
> My experiences aren't worth much in this case, what I had to deal with
> was data center setups where - the power has never gone off for 6
> years - the drives never spin down and just keep on turning year after
> year - the servers were the nice big ones Dell makes with awesome
> cooling - the data center feels like a fridge and the ambient temp
> never varies more than 1 deg - the server power supplies are seriously
> high grade, the 5V and 12V out of them are solid and do not fluctuate
> at all Add all this up and it's an almost perfect environment for
> drives to last a long time. You don't have that, not even close. I
> have only 1 little bit of anecdotal data: my nas at home has 4 x 3T WD
> Green drives in it, going on almost 2 years now. My kids hammer the
> blazes out of that thing, and ZFS scrubs keep it real busy when the
> kids don't. And those drives just keep on turning and turning and
> turning, I didn't do anything special. I put it down to statistics -
> no-one makes bad drives (or cars) these days and I haven't pulled the
> unlucky card yet. I dunno, go figure

Well, it does make good points tho.  I keep my room here pretty cool.
It's not as cool as your data center but I have a window A/C and my own
heater.  I don't mind it being a little cool in the winter but don't
like it warm in the summer either.  The cooler the better.

I also have the Cooler Master HAF-932 case with those really nice large
fans.  The hard drives are right in front of the front intake fan.  I
have a power supply that is really to big for what I have running.  I
can't recall the brand and wattage just that it doesn't pull near as
much power as I thought it would.  It pulls less than half what my older
and much slower puter pulled.  Also, I rarely shut this thing down.  I
did the other night to unplug/re-plug all the cables but other than
that, it is usually because I have lost power from the mains.

So, keep them cool, good clean power and leave them running when ya
can.  Sounds like a plan.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)