[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Sunday 30 April 2006 07:22 am, Jeff Rollin wrote:
Oh, yeah. I couldn't understand why people raved about the speed of Gentoo
till I added USE="-DG_DISABLE_DEBUG"

So, this is going to be a very elementary question, but it's honestly because I don't know.

I have major problems with Firefox (and even Eclipse) acting very sluggishly. It's understandably annoying, but after using Windows for ten years, I've learned to just swallow a lot of garbage and forget about it. However, now that there's (possibly) a way to fix all this...

I don't know about USE flags. I think I get that they're special compile-time preprocessor macros to enable/disable certain things,

No, they are not. They enable/disable things, but they are not
preprocessor macros. A USE flage might set or remove certain
preprocessor macros, but that's not necessarily the main purpose
of USE flags.

but I don't know how to use them, as in change them.

Read the manual.

localhost ~ # emerge -vpt mozilla-firefox
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords:
app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10
--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.keywords: dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
=dev-libs/libassuan-0.6.10 ~x86
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
=dev-libs/libksba-0.9.12 ~x86
--- Invalid atom in /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
=app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19 ~x86

This part I'm worried about, but am not trying to fix right now. Any suggestions, though OT, would be nice.

Suggestion: Fix your package.keywords and package.mask files. Seems
you've got those files mixed up. Post the line with "app-crypt/gpg-agent-1.9.19"
from package.keywords and package.mask.

These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.8 [1.0.7-r4] -debug +gnome
+ipv6 +java* -mozcalendar -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg +truetype -xinerama -xprint 32,135 kB

I see here that I've got it compiled with the debug pointers

How do you see that? A "-" normally means, that something is substracted.
So, I'd be interested to understand how you see that.

(which I'm told slow things down) and it has no KDE/Qt support, either. This... could be a problem.

First:

I'd like to know where I can change the USE flags globally,

It's in the manual. The file /etc/make.conf is your friend here.

> such that all new
activity will have no debug support, which I don't need.

Why do you think, that it has debug support?

Second:

How can I specifically re-build a package with changed USE flags?

You know, reading the manual WOULD help. Really. You might be
interested in /etc/portage/package.use

Your questions are answered in the "portage" man page.

Thanks for your time! Hope I'm not too annoying! And if there's any part of my Netiquette that isn't correct, tell me.

Your real name is hilarious. "Lord Sauron The Great" ... Come
on, how old are you? 10?

Alexander Skwar
--
To converse at the distance of the Indes by means of sympathetic contrivances
may be as natural to future times as to us is a literary correspondence.