On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Justin Cormack wrote:

> > > There is a GGI Glide target, but it's 2D.  What's wanted is accellerated
> > > hardware 3D..  Something that CAN render 3 screens of Quake at a decent
> > > FPS.  =>
> >
> > I agree. So where do we start? First voodoo cards like many cards are
> > triangle bases. Any triangle support? The next thing is how to program
> > the libggi target to use things like textures, alpha blending and depth
> > buffering.
>
> What is the future of Glide in the 3dfx plan of things? Given that there
> are (some) Glide programs that could run directly on a GGI Glide 3D target,
> and there is a Mesa-glide target, this would perhaps be the easiest way
> to go.

        I agree.  Glide is EOLed, but it is also still very well supported
in Linux and GGI.  This makes Glide a very good candidate for a first-cut
prototype implementation of GGI-based 3D acceleration.

> It keeps the 3Dfx development rather apart from other Linux 3D
> development, and while it provides a demonstration of principle for GGI 3D
> it doesnt help support other cards, and now with full scpecs glide is not
> necessary.

        But it is available now, works well, Mesa driver code is already
available, and it would also help to exercise the GGI extension and target
overloading system to shake out bugs or design issues before we go crazy
with GGIMesa fbdev/KGI/DRI/etc targets.  Glide-on-Linux seems IMHO like
the best target environment to start with.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
        - Scientist G. Richard Seed