On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Justin Cormack wrote:

> > > There is a GGI Glide target, but it's 2D.  What's wanted is accellerated
> > > hardware 3D..  Something that CAN render 3 screens of Quake at a decent
> > > FPS.  =>
> >
> > I agree. So where do we start? First voodoo cards like many cards are
> > triangle bases. Any triangle support? The next thing is how to program
> > the libggi target to use things like textures, alpha blending and depth
> > buffering.
>
> What is the future of Glide in the 3dfx plan of things?

They are already porting it to their next generation of cards. Alot of
legacy software uses the glide library.

> Given that there
> are (some) Glide programs that could run directly on a GGI Glide 3D target,
> and there is a Mesa-glide target, this would perhaps be the easiest way
> to go.

Mesa-GGI is probable the best way to go.

> It keeps the 3Dfx development rather apart from other Linux 3D
> development, and while it provides a demonstration of principle for GGI 3D
> it doesnt help support other cards, and now with full scpecs glide is not
> necessary.

True but its a issue of legacy software.

Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am"
James Simmons                                                      (o_
fbdev/gfx developer                                      (o_  (o_ //\
http://www.linux-fbdev.org                              (/)_ (/)_ V_/_
http://linuxgfx.sourceforge.net