Daniel Rogers wrote:

> <<I am not subscribed to gimp-web, so if you are only replying to that
> address, I won't get the message>>
>
> As was discussed at Gimp Con 2003 (and before, frankly) I am in the
> process of incorporating "The GIMP Foundation" as a non-profit
> organization devoted to supporting the gimp.
>
> As this point, nothing (including the name) is set in stone.  I have a
> legal clinic doing some research to help inform me about how to form the
> corporation and my (and its) legal responsibilities.  This service is
> free, but limited.  I will need to seek the advice of some other
> attorney (of which I have a list of about two potentially helpful
> lawyers) to anything TGF needs in the future.
>
> What I am working on, though, is what to do with TGF.  What I want from
> everyone else is two things: ideas about what to do with TGF and
> questions anyone may have about TGF.  I want make sure that these things
> have time get discussed with the lawyer and to try to help keep our
> community more informed of these matters.
>
> So please, if anyone has any questions about how TGF will work and what
> you would like to see it do, send them to me.  I will work on providing
> answers.
>
> Here are some of the ideas I am currently mulling over regarding TGF:
>
> Selling t-shirts, coffee cups, lapel pins, posters, etc.
> Selling printed manuals.

When I looked into this sometime back, I watched the gnome foundation
elections on the irc.  This is probably not the best view of a
foundation, however, I really wanted nothing to do with it.

It seems like if there is money available to aid with TheGIMP, the
easier it is for the people to contact the person most involved with
this area -- then the decision can be made by the person who is to do
the task or what have you.

I understand that this is a dangerous practice; however there are other
dangers in other practices as well.  I am trying to bring the gimp
authors more to the foreground (which is at the core of my problem with
docbook, the author credit is so far nested into the information and
xslt is still such a challenge) and I guess I would rather trust each
individuals ability to determine what should go to gimp and what should
stay with them.

If you develop TheGIMP right now, and you get offered some money, it is
difficult to give any of it back.  Having a place and an easy interface
to deposit money would be nice I think, and good therapy for any who
received more than they gave (deep down everyone knows).

I would like to buy some teeshirts, however.  Any maybe if there is a
particularly popular teeshirt design, we can put it into a more official
copyleft sort of production.

I am not certain if I am making sense (again); but no matter what is
going on and all the evidence against this belief, I tend to believe
more in individuals and their conscience than in "organizations".
People can get and install gimp on their own.  Selling a distribution is
sort of like preying on the ignorant.  This has happened to me, and I
didn't like it.

carol