On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Jay Smith<j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2009 03:28 PM, Alexia Death wrote:
>> Why only 5 seconds? why not until something else happens? IMHO 5 seconds is
>> not enough.
>
> One of my annoyances with a couple of other programs that I use a lot is
> that such types of messages stay around too long in those programs.
> What if you look at the screen 30 seconds or 5 minutes or 2 hours later
> that message is still there?  It is now completely out of context!

I disagree.  If the last thing I did that generates such a message was
try to save, then even 2 hours from now it still has THAT context
(that is, the last thing you did).  Keeping the message in the status
bar until it is replaced is, imho, the minimum possible solution to
this problem.  I, like some others in this thread, would prefer a
modal dialog.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Martin Nordholts<ense...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When you do a File -> Save you want to make sure that your changes is
> safely written to disk, right? If you have made no changes, what is then
> the point in writing the file again? The user should be able to trust
> that GIMP does the right thing and it is unfortunate whenever GIMP
> doesn't. But showing a modal dialog whenever the user presses Ctrl+S
> twice is to me a really bad idea UI-wise.

Maybe I just want to 'touch' the file and saving is the fastest
possible way to do that.

Perhaps I modified or deleted the file on disk, and want to save the
copy that exists in GIMP over whatever is on the disk.  I am not sure
if GIMP is already aware of this situation

In some situations, the Save operation produces dialogs from the
export plugin, which do not affect the image in GIMP but do affect the
saved image.  What if I just want to change the decisions that I made
there? (again, this may already be handled well).