James Cox wrote:

> I think it is important to remember that these visual adjustments that we
> are applying are really just abstract mathematical formulas that we find
> visually useful.  In some cases this is quite explicit (eg the multiply
> blend mode), and sometimes we try to hide this (eg contrast).  The

You can of course use something like an RGB to L*a*b* conversion purely
as a mathematical transformation to allow certain types of adjustments
without regard to the color meaning, but my suggestion would be to
never call the resulting space "Lab" if it is not a genuine device independent
color space. You'll just confuse and mislead anyone who knows what that's meant
to be.

Graeme Gill.