Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 1999 at 05:48:34PM +0100, Raphael Quinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Quite right.  And to paraphrase what I wrote in a previous message,
> > there is nothing wrong in having an _optional_ dependency on GNOME
> The difference (IMHO) is that a help system is an integral part of the gimp,
> just like menus, a good ui design or the tooltips are.

what about this solution to the help browser problem:

make it a plugin (or module). You could make a plugin for each variant.
One plugin would start user-configurable web browser
Second would run GtkXmHtml
Third would run gnome help browser (if it uses html)

The plugins would register under <help>/... and the user would select a
preferred one in setup. If the configured one is not found, the first
registered is used instead.

I hope that this is solution that would work for everyone.