On 07.08.12 at 11:23, Anoko wrote:
2012/8/6 Anoko <for...@gimpusers.com>:
I've seen the new "you have to use export" messagebox about 20 times now, very
annoying ;-). Why is it not OK to allow saving to e.g. png (especially when not using
layers!), but keep the export function ALSO as it is? That way, everyone will be happy I
think?
Is it soooooooooo difficult to change one's habits a little, and to
learn simple shortcuts? Ctrl-E or Shift-Ctrl-E to export the image to
any format you wish, Ctrl-W Alt-W to close the image without saving
it. Seeing a warning message 20 times was clearly enough for teaching
me that I should use Ctrl-E instead of Ctrl-S.
Well habbits or not, I still wonder why it is explicitly disallowed to save as
something other than xcf. As I said, allowing that+keeping the export option
makes all users happy. Now, a way that apparently some part of the users like
and some don't is forced to all, while it is not necessary to force it.
Hi Anoko,

this question has been widely discussed before and like many others I think, all that has to be said about it is already said. So don't be surprised if some answers sound annoyed. Usually advanced users have problems with the new behaviour, not experts and not beginners. If you can't live without Ctrl+S you can easily change the shortcuts via the Edit menu. If you like to know more about this change and why things have changed this way, you find some explanations at http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/gimp-2.8-understanding-ui-changes. At least the last sentence in the 'Save and export' chapter is very important.
I hope this helps you.

Best regards,

grafxuser