On Monday 13 August 2012 18:58:24 maderios wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 03:55 PM, Jim Clark wrote:
> > I have just downloaded a sound processing program called Audacity.
> > Putzed around, hit save and was told "This will save in Audacity's
> > native format; for wave files use 'Export'." I was telling my son
> > about the grief the developers were taking and, surprise, that's how
> > Audacity does the same thing and he said, "That's also how Photoshop
> > does it."
>
>    You confuse professional and amateur work.....
>   I'm Audacity user. It works well for "amateurs", not for professionnal
> people. You can't compare it with Gimp. Gimp is used by professional.
> When you build an  image, it needs hundred and hundred operations.
> Imagine You may create images every day... The new weird and boring
> Gimp-2.8 behavior (concerning  "save" or "save as" functions)  is not
> compatible with professional work. Sorry...
>
> Regards
> Maderios

LibreOffice is another good example. If you open a .doc and Save, it will ask
you if you want to save it in native Open Document format. Inkscape will not
save a PNG, you'd need to Export it. Save will make your file an SVG or SVGZ.

etc.

--
Fortune cookie for Tuesday, August 14, 2012:

This is Betty Frenel.  I don't know who to call but I can't reach my
Food-a-holics partner.  I'm at Vido's on my second pizza with sausage
and mushroom.  Jim, come and get me!