On 08/13/2012 03:55 PM, Jim Clark wrote:

I have just downloaded a sound processing program called Audacity. Putzed around, hit save and was told "This will save in Audacity's native format; for wave files use 'Export'." I was telling my son about the grief the developers were taking and, surprise, that's how Audacity does the same thing and he said, "That's also how Photoshop does it."

  You confuse professional and amateur work.....
I'm Audacity user. It works well for "amateurs", not for professionnal people. You can't compare it with Gimp. Gimp is used by professional. When you build an image, it needs hundred and hundred operations. Imagine You may create images every day... The new weird and boring Gimp-2.8 behavior (concerning "save" or "save as" functions) is not compatible with professional work. Sorry...